Ok, I have got the metal for the engine studs and also the metal for the solid mounts.
I started with this
Then I started to undercut the engine studs so that they would look like the existing ones only find that the steel I ordered 4140 grade is the right grade but just too hard for my lathe bits, I guess I should be using HSS or something like that cos they are now blunt as hell.
I wanted to undercut from the red line down to the other red line but this didn't work out too well so I might just get an HSS die 10x1.25 and cut the threads as is, IE leave the bar the diameter all the way down.
Then I decided to have a go at the solid engine mounts, I started on the top front one first but because the rock hard steel above has blunted my lathe tool this didn't turn as nice as I would have liked.
This one below took me about 45 mins to do, it was really hard to get the tool close enough to the shoulder without touching the actual lathe jaw. What I did wrong was to cut the piece to the right length first, I should have made it longer so that I could easily turn it without fear of catching the jaw.
Obviously this still needs a hole down the centre
When I dismantled the engine the locating pins were stuck in solid so I had to get mole grips on them and twist these out which resulted in damage to them, priced them up and these were something like £3.50 each - foook that!!!, I'll make my own.
These are the originals
And these are ones that I have made
These are various pictures of them in the engine and how the engine will look when built up, crankcases and head in black, barrels in silver, can't decide what colour to have casings yet as these still need to be blasted.
Whilst painting the engine I noticed a big crack on one of the mountings - this project is starting to pee me off, the bike I picked from Ebay is the worse bike I have ever done work on
Had the barrels and the cylinder soda blasted now.
These are now ready for painting but cant decide on whether or not to have to all the engine in Black Satin or everything in black Satin except the barrels and have these done in silver
I must admit that I love this XS1100 that has been painted
I am having to rebuild the original engine so I have decided that it would be best if I made an engine stand for the engine to sit on whilst I am working on it.
I got out my pen and paper and ended up with this
This is just before the full welding is done
All welding done, thanks again to my mate Dave at Weldac in Halifax and painted blue :-), this engine stand is a proper strong one now and will easily hold a full engine with all the internals installed and hopefully will make carrying the engine easier with 2 blokes able to grab the actual stand and not the engine itself
This is the 3rd head I have bought and all 3 have bent valves, anyway this head is the best out of the bunch, the original engine that came with the bike was, well fucked!!! and is now being used as a mock up engine.
So the reason why this engine (£50 from Ebay) did not work is because of this
Here are just some more pictures of the head
I can't decide whether or not to take the remaining valves out and check those as well, I am going to have to aren't I otherwise if I dont, then murphys law etc. something will go wrong.
This is the chain drive component that he will be using, The kit is available in Australia and is about £750, this does seem a lot of money for something that he doesn't really need but he is adamant that this bike is going to be different from a standard XS1100, this will not only give him a choice of rear wheels but tyres as well.
Please check out the link below of the engineering firm who manufactures this, the kit itself looks very good quality and was apparently used is a race way back 1981 so if it was good enough for a race then this must have been tried and tested and best of all just bolts straight onto the XS1100 engine
HISTORIC CHAIN DRIVE KIT
Credit to Malcolm Pitman who has helped Nordon Pty. Ltd., engineer a chain drive based on Pitman's chain drive conversion. Pitman's chain drive conversion was developed for Greg Pretty's Yamaha XS1100 which he raced in 1981 and won the Coca Cola 800 at Sydney's Oran Park Raceway.
The early model conversion has been re-designed and adapts without change to the standard factory crankcase
Today has been another nice day so he has been out in the yard again.
Todays mission is to remove the Engine... By Himself might I add :)
All electrics are off now with carbs & airbox removed
He was trying here to take the frame off the engine, He thought it would be easier to do this with the bike on it's side but he said he actually found it harder!!
well as you can see it's out now. He had to put the front end back on, then managed to get the engine loose in the frame. As he was trying to lift the engine out he realised that the oil cooler pipes were still on, as he's trying to undo them they snapped. He ended up cutting them off at the bottom and this explains why my back yard looks like an oil slick (not impressed)
This is the Engine out now, He said the mounting bolts are all rubbish, very rusty and mounting rubbers are perished too also he noticed some cylinder head bolts are very rusty.
J's next job is to make me a brew, It's hard work watching and taking pics...